Statewide Assembly 2020
The in-person assembly at Berkeley has been cancelled. Please check back for information about a rescheduled virtual assembly.
9:30-10:00: Registration, Coffee and Pastries
10am: Opening Remarks by Beth Dupuis (Senior AUL for Educational Initiatives, User Services, and Strategic Projects and Director of Doe, Moffitt and the Subject Specialty Libraries)
10:15: LAUC Statewide Committee Reports
10:30: Copyright Panel
- Peggy Tahir, Fair Use and Images
- Timothy Vollmer, Text Data Mining
- Kyra Folk-Farber, Music Modernization Act
- Melissa Stoner and Joy Holland, Tribal Considerations in University Collecting and Access
12:00-1:45 Lunch. In addition to collegial lunch conversations, we have two lunchtime opportunities:
- Join LAUC-Berkeley R&PD event: "Librarians as Researchers: A LAUC-B Workshop"
- Tour of the Bancroft (limited, sign-up to follow)
1:45: Annette Buckley - Service roles spreadsheet presentation
2:00: President’s Report
2:15: Small group discussions (idea solicitation to follow). Potential topics include:
- Reorganizations/LAUC role/Librarian impact
- Subject/discipline break-out sessions
- Continuing progress Overcoming Barriers to LAUC Participation
- LAUC connect future planning
- Copyright – digging deeper
- Academic Freedom - APM-011
3:15: Full group discussion, wrap-up
Post-Assembly Happy Hour for those not in a rush to travel
Links to committee and representative reports will be posted here.
The campus area is served by BART and AC Transit; see the campus Directions & Parking page for more details.
The Hearst Building is stop #6 on the Perimeter Line shuttle ($1), which departs from the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
Parking recommendations can be found on the Directions & Parking page.
A block of 10 rooms at the Bancroft Hotel are reserved for LAUC members at a special rate of $139/night. 510-549-1000.
Other local accommodations:
Graduate Berkeley: 2600 Durant Ave. 510-845-8981
Berkeley City Club: 2315 Durant Ave. 510-848-7800
Doubletree Hotel: 200 Marina Blvd. 510-548-7920 (free shuttle to campus)
The Faculty Club: on campus. 510-540-5678
Hotel Shattuck Plaza: 2086 Allston Way. 510-845-7300
Rose Garden Inn: 2740 Telegraph Ave. 800-992-9005
Take a self-guided tour around the beautiful Berkeley campus. The following landmarks are noted on this campus map.
- Rondo II (Bruce Beasley sculpture)
- California Buckeye tree planted in 1882
- The Last Dryad (Calder sculpture)
See #13 in this self-guided tour to UCB outdoor art: https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/publicartcollectionbrochure-2001.pdf
- Patio behind Women’s Faculty Club (excellent Strawberry creek viewing spot)
- Visit the iconic Campanile
- Sproul Plaza, a.k.a. the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement