

Librarian Association of the University of California

Executive Board Conference Call

Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 1-3pm

ReadyTalk [Please use the toll-free number 866-740-1260 and the access code 9181033#]

MINUTES

NB: at the October 2, 2014 LAUC Exec Bd. meeting the approval of the minutes was deferred until a more detailed copy was sent out. We agreed to approve them online. These minutes were approved at the March 5, 2015 LAUC Exec Bd. meeting

[Note: Due to technical difficulties that delayed nearly everyone connecting to ReadyTalk, the meeting began about 10 minutes late.]

A. Roll Call (C. Woo)

President:	Matt Conner
Vice-President/President-Elect:	Diane Mizrachi
Past President:	Nick Robinson
Secretary:	Christina Woo
Parliamentarian:	Dean Rowan
SLASIAC representative:	Susan Koskinen
SAG 1 representative:	Diane Gurman
SAG 2 representative:	Susan Perry
SAG 3 representative:	Angela Riggio
Web Manager:	Julie Lefevre
Assembly Planning:	Penny Coppernoll-Blach

LAUC-B:	Rita Evans
LAUC-D:	Bruce Abbott, Cory Craig
LAUC-I:	Lisa Mackinder, Keith Powell
LAUC-LA:	Rikke Ogawa
LAUC-M:	Elizabeth McMunn-Tetangco
LAUC-R:	Rhonda Neugebauer
LAUC-SD:	Penny Coppernoll-Blach
LAUC-SF:	Sarah McClung
LAUC-SB:	Angela Boyd
LAUC-SC:	Deborah Murphy

B. Announcements (M. Conner)

1 – For our minutes, please submit written materials/reports, such as SAG and SLASIAC reps, committee reports, and divisional chairs' round robins to our Secretary, Christina Woo (cjwoo@uci.edu). They can be sent to her before or after the meeting.

2 – LAUC-D is having an event on October 16 that they'll broadcast (via Adobe Connect) to the divisions. LAUC-D was inspired by LAUC-B's report last year on the future of libraries that was instrumental in getting more funding for the libraries [see "ExComm Presentation to the Commission on the Future of the Library (January 2013)" at <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/reports/index.html>]. LAUC-D sees this as a model to follow and has invited someone from LAUC-B to speak at Davis on this subject. This is part of our effort to invite all LAUC members to listen and to make LAUC more integrated with more communication.

ACTION: Matt Conner will send out details.

Sue Koskinen (as SLASIAC rep) asked about when to send the SLASIAC reports. Matt Conner: As soon as they're available is fine.

C. Meeting Goals that need to be finished at this meeting:

1. Finish Substance of Membership Report
2. Finish LAUC-wide response to SAG 3 proposal, which is due on Sept. 15.

D. Approval of minutes – August 11, 2014 Transition meeting (C. Woo)

The minutes were approved by consensus but members may email may edits. Special Assembly (Aug. 14 on Bylaws) minutes should be approved at the next LAUC Assembly.

E. Review of action items from the minutes of the August 11 Transition meeting (M. Conner)

1. Conference calls: Matt Conner sent out the schedule of proposed dates for conference calls for the year. He received no major objections, so this action item is **DONE**.
2. Clarifying LAUC travel procedures: Matt Conner sent out an email with a few changes to the details in our Transition meeting packet. Main message: For any LAUC-related travel, let Matt Conner know in advance, so he can approve travel expenses. This is mostly for Spring Assembly travel, but there is some funding for other, intermittent travel. We can either use the UCLA Travel services, OR make the reservations/buy tickets on our own and then contact Gina Durrin at UCOP for the reimbursement form. Because UCLA Travel service has access to some discounts that we do not as individuals, using them can save LAUC some money. Also, the travel code for the Transition meeting was specific to that meeting; it cannot be used again. **Done.**
3. Division reports on membership: All received. Thanks. **Done.**
4. Statewide committee appointments: all vacancies have been filled.
ACTION: Matt Conner will name chairs of 2 committees: Diversity and CPG/Professional Governance.
5. Statewide committee charges: The committees begin their terms on Oct. 1.
ACTION: Matt will get their charges to them by Oct. 1.

F. Systemwide Committees/Appointments

1. Research and Professional Development (D. Mizrachi)

Committee is in place and should start work in the next few weeks. The call for proposals has gone out to the general membership. Committee members will use bSpace to communicate. Note: Because we do not have a LAUC-wide listserv, the Exec Bd depends on divisional chairs to share information with the larger membership.

ACTION: For those emails, please include in the subject line, in caps, FOR DISTRIBUTION...

2. CPG/Committee on Professional Governance (M. Conner)

This committee hasn't started yet, but they have a lot to do and will focus on the membership question. The plan to manage this: We have already gotten divisional reports on this. **ACTION: We need to consolidate all of the feedback into one report, which we'll issue next Friday, Sept. 19. We'll work on the substance of this at today's meeting.** Then we'll give the general membership an opportunity to provide feedback.

In Oct. we'll start discussing Position Paper 5 ("librarian as an academic" has values that are basic to our discussion of membership) and come up with a document for the LAUC members to respond to.

In Nov. and Dec. CPG will come up with responses that we can include in our first systemwide newsletter in December.

In Jan. and Feb. CPG will issue final recommendations for response by the membership. Then we discuss this with delegates.

By the Spring Assembly (likely in April) we start voting.

Because CPG has so much to do on membership this year, the Exec Bd will provide some oversight but avoid micromanaging or stifling the process. Like Ross Perot, we'll give CPG clear goals and information (reports and feedback), then get out of the way and let them do it. The Exec Bd will communicate with the general membership to frame things and then collect feedback.

ACTION: Lisa Mackinder (I) asked for the calendar; Matt Conner will send out the details.

3. Position Papers (M. Conner)

We had talked about creating an ad hoc committee to work on these. The papers need to be a result of extensive discussion and debate. Since we already have so much to do,

we will push that back later. We will start the discussion but not revise or produce new papers this year.

ACTION for next meeting on Oct. 2, read all 5 papers. Decide for each: reaffirm, revise, or eliminate. We'll discuss Position Paper 5 in more detail and send out our ideas to the membership next month. We could also come up with new position papers. "Position Papers and statements" are at <http://lauc.ucop.edu/about/>

4. APM/Academic Personnel Manual Revisions (M. Conner)

The APM (full text: <http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/academic-personnel-policy/>) is being negotiated. UCOP has asked us for feedback on a provisional version, due in Oct., and a more extensive response in Jan/Feb. We'll need a task force of a few, very qualified people. Adam Siegel at Davis would be an excellent person, and he is very concerned about the profession. Also, he's interested in participating.

ACTION: Please forward names of interest to Matt Conner by next meeting. We won't see the first version of the APM revisions until later in the month, so that gives us time.

One expectation for the task force will be to identify what is new/different in the APM and what is not. According to Axel Borg, our union sage, the two are very similar. The MOU is more like a legal contract document, and the APM is a policy document.

5. Website Revision Ad Hoc (J. Lefevre)

Last year's report [<http://lauc.ucop.edu/committees/ahwr/index.php>] recommended that the LAUC website be migrated to a CMS/Content Mgmt System, Drupal. Advantages: options for layout changes are easy to use. Drupal has a robust role mgmt. system to give privileges/permissions to specific people (various levels of access).

Bruce Abbott (D): where are you recommending that it be hosted?

Julie Lefevre: A final decision hasn't been made yet, but we recommend away from UCOP, where it has been difficult to get access. There will be a monthly fee for non-UCOP hosting, but it is a low monthly fee.

Where are we now? Since Spring, the Ad Hoc first decided on Drupal or another CMS, and all agreed on Drupal. Then, to choose an outside development firm to create the site, the Ad Hoc wrote a RFP and sent it to 5 firms; 3 responded. The committee evaluated them and sent the criteria to Matt Conner and Nick Robinson. The Ad Hoc decided on FivePaths (<https://fivepaths.com>), which is based in northern California and has worked with UC Berkeley and other nonprofits. FivePaths came in on budget and with a specific timeline. The Ad Hoc is confident about them. Matt Conner and Nick Robinson have figured out the funding. The project is almost ready to start rolling.

Next: The Ad Hoc will get together with FivePaths and talk specifics, such as a timeline. In their proposal, they called out their perceived milestones for the development process.

At which points will the project touch base with the Exec Bd? Schedule (pushed back from Dec. 2014):

Phase 1 - Strategy & System Architecture. Take a hard look at the site, move things around, propose navigation, etc.

Phase 2 - Site design – what the layout will look like, fonts, colors, theme, etc.

Phase 3 - Data migration, including what possibly to archive

Matt Connor asked how to get feedback from the membership on choices we have, such as font and color? A logical group is the Diversity Committee and the Exec Bd. That committee's "Meet Our Members" will be a significant new feature.

Debbie Murphy (SC) noted that creating the site is one thing, but what about maintaining it beyond filling predictable slots? Matt Connor responded that this Ad Hoc committee will expire, so there may be a new group created for maintaining the website. Then Matt Connor and Julie Lefevre said that we will use Google forms to collect Meet Our Members text to populate our first profiles.

ACTION: We will start with this among the Exec Bd as a pilot.

Wish list: bSpace is going away; LAUC will have a new website, and the LAUC blog has been inactive. Do we want to build these capabilities into the new LAUC website? Other wish list items? Having everything in one place is convenient, but it could be more expensive than pointing the membership to other places in addition to our website.

6. Assembly Planning (P. Coppernoll-Blach)

Planning for the 2015 Spring Assembly at UCSD is underway. Kymberly Goodson, who was one of the Co-Chairs for the 2007 Assembly held at UCSD, has agreed to serve again as Planning Committee Chair. We are looking at Wednesday dates in late March and early April: March 25, April 1, 8 or 15. March 25th might be a good date, because it is during quarter break for most campuses. One attractive location with an excellent ocean view is a new residential building on the north side of campus, The Village Meeting Rooms on Fifteen (<http://hdh.ucsd.edu/fifteen/>). It might be a good venue for the meeting. Penny and Kymberly will contact this facility to see what dates are available.

ACTION: Matt Conner and Penny will email possible dates via for feedback, after we consult our calendars and campus events. They will compile the feedback and come up with a date.

We overspent what we had allocated for our August Transition mtg., so we have no extra money for the Spring Assembly expenses. But since our budget has been flat for several years, this could motivate us to ask for more funding to keep up with inflation.

Matt Connor reminded us that it is the Board's responsibility to come up with a program. CoUL members are interested in being involved, as they were at the last Assembly, virtually or in person.

ACTION: We can work on a program later but can start thinking about ideas now.

7. Report from CoUL/Council of University Librarians (M. Conner, D. Mizrachi)

CoUL met for 2 full days last week, and Diane Mizrachi and Matt Conner had an hour with them on Thursday. Covered four topics:

- Advising SAG. On the table: Webinars on priorities with the SAGs. Coming up with topics and organizing them will be a joint effort of the coordinating committee, CoUL, and LAUC, so we will not be expected to shoulder the burden alone on that. Matt and Diane communicated the concerns from our last LAUC transition mtg. about SAG minutes/reports and need to improve communication and awareness. CoUL was concerned and admitted not all ULs follow the SAGs closely. The content of the SAG minutes/reports could be improved to reveal more of the work the SAGs do. CoUL will work with the coordinating committee to improve communication with the SAGs.
- LAUC membership issue: Matt Conner has shared with us their collective statement. CoUL considers our concerns legitimate; they are supportive and interested.
- Position Paper 5: CoUL thinks this a great discussion on the academic librarian and will follow us closely.
- LAUC website: CoUL was pleased this project is moving forward from last year. The UCB UL suggested the feature of making the website searchable.

G. Advisory Groups

1. **SLASIAC/Systemwide Library and Scholarly Communication** (Susan Koskinen)
<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/slasiac/>

Just got an email from Joanne Miller during this meeting. There will be an all-day mtg on Oct. 2 in Oakland, her first communication from this group. Susan Koskinen offered to go through the agenda, but Matt Conner said this could wait until our August 4 meeting. Cynthia Johnson, our 2013-2014 representative, sent her annual report for her term. SLASIAC is especially interested in the UC Open Access project. We'll look to SLASIAC for progress on that front.

2. **SAG 1/Scholarly Research & Communication** (Diane Gurman)
<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sag1>

The SAG 1 public wiki hasn't been updated for a long time, so I can't provide a link to minutes. Updating the space is a high priority action item.

Here is some information from the SAG1 Bimonthly Report (provided to me by SAG 1 chair David Minor):

- The group agreed to continue UC participation in the Knowledge Unlatched pilot until Spring 2015. At that point the project will be re-evaluated.

 - SAG 1 took an in-depth look at the final report of The Open Access Fund Assessment Group. Problems with journal subvention include the low number of researchers who were helped, and the concentration in the sciences. UCLA was the only campus that used its funds for a program called the Affordable Course Materials Initiative, still under assessment at the time of the last conference call. Kerry Scott / CLS will coordinate next step.

 - SAG 1 has been in communication with the Office of Scholarly Communication about the Open Access Policy implementation. This includes reviewing the six-month report on activities as well as staying up to date with plans for continued system-wide rollout.

 - Several campuses have been visited by representatives from Symplectic. These visits include a general introduction to the harvesting system, as well as in-depth looks at how it's being rolled out as part of the UC-wide Open Access process. SAG1 has been having on-going discussions of this process, and how the visits at the various campuses compare (Symplectic reps had only been to northern CA campuses as of the last conference call).

 - SAG 1 as a group reviewed the Shared Metadata Policy that was generated by SAG 2. Questions and comments were raised and sent back to SAG 2.

 - SAG 1 had discussions on the Code Camp that CDL hosted in August. The members of the group see this as an excellent example of cross-UC work in the data and curation space.
3. **SAG 2/Access, Discovery & Infrastructure** (Susan Perry)
<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sag2>

Not much to report, since SAG 2 has not met in 6 weeks but will meet tomorrow. Will work on the SAG 3 draft for the Bibliographers Group. Last year: SAG 2 worked on the RFP for the UC libraries' courier service. SAG 2 is working with the UC Libraries Digital collections group (based in CDL). CoUL asked for a single sign-on for UC community members for e-resources. UC identity management proved to be beyond the libraries'

jurisdiction. CoUL will look at these problems (described in a 2-page report) and probably will revise the task.

4. **SAG 3/Collection Building & Management** (A. Riggio)
<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sag3>

SAG 3 held its annual in-person meeting on September 10. The brief minutes are now available on the Wiki (<http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sag3/meetings>). One of the highlights of that meeting was our session with Lorelei Tanji (UL at UCI). She briefed the group on the CoUL Systemwide Plan and Priorities, 2014-2018 which pertained to the work of SAG 3. The group did some reflection on work accomplished this year and some brainstorming on what we will take on next year. Updates from CLS were extensive, please consult the published minutes. The CCDD (Collaborative Collection Development via Digitization) Task Force continues work on a proposal to partner with a commercial vendor on a digitization project. The Shared ILS Task Force has submitted a 2 page summary of their report for CoUL discussion at the September meeting; the group is completing its final report, which will be delivered to the CoUL via the Coordinating Committee. The Bibliographer Groups proposal team members are collecting feedback from campuses. Our next meeting will be on September 24.

H. Old/Ongoing Business

1. Membership Report

Matt Conner thanked everyone for reports on Membership status details. Overview: Six campuses have reclassified upper management out of the librarian ranks. SD started doing this 15 years ago, so this has been going on for a while.

Comments/reactions to the reports:

Diane Mizrahi: we have a broad range of interpretations and reactions to the issue.

Matt Connor: next step is to give argumentation and rationales. Let's brainstorm pros and cons. Asking Lisa Mackinder and Keith Powell (I) about "the original intent and purpose of LAUC." Response: LAUC is a professional organization that professionalizes librarians, since we do not enjoy faculty rank, status, and privileges. LAUC provides a forum for discussion professional issues and to advise library administration.

If library administrators are members of LAUC, LAUC members are advising themselves, which is redundant. This argues for keeping administration separate from LAUC.

Rikke Ogawa (LA): Having more people in LAUC—at the table—can only help us.

Matt Connor: being more inclusive brings in more knowledge and expertise.

Keith Powell (I): AULs should be included, regardless of their titles.

Debbie Murphy (SC): let's flip this conversation a little. LAUC advises on so many things. LAUC members who are managers are privy to more information than those who are

not managers but who can also sit in on certain meetings. We want our management to value and appreciate LAUC and its input.

What are the benefits of being an affiliate (non-voting, non-office-holding, etc.) member of LAUC? To the affiliate? To LAUC? Various examples were offered, including library assistants (especially those in library school or with MLIS degrees) attending divisional LAUC meetings and programs; LAUC-I members representing the libraries as non-voting members of UCI Academic Senate committees.

How to process the pros and cons of this? We need to pull this together in a week. This is not meant to be exhaustive but to spark further discussion.

ACTION: Matt will put up a wiki in bSpace and wants Exec Bd input by Tues., Sept. 16, by 5pm. He will put up a draft on the wiki on the 17th. We'll do our best to collect our thoughts and have something ready by Friday, Sept. 19th. We will not use track changes on the draft but just go ahead and make the change.

2. Responses to SAG 3 Proposal

Quick survey of the campuses:

B: The bibliographers and collections librarians met, but we did not reach a consensus

D: Basically, yes. Science-based librarians saw little change; other subject librarians did.

I: Not in favor, although responses were few. Not broken, so keep as is. Lisa Mackinder and Keith Powell sat in on a Collection Development Dept. mtg., where this was discussed. Clumping together of so many different areas is not beneficial.

LA: Sure, let's try it. Why not?

M: Not in favor, would cause more confusion and be complicated to manage

R: More info coming, but mostly not in favor

SD: No consensus, but concern over such broad groups

SF: The subject focus at SF is so narrow. Concerned about the formality of a "chair." There are only 2 collections librarians at SF, and chairing more than one group would be a real burden. SF librarians' expertise is so focused, that serving as a chair for subjects the librarian knows nothing about would be a disservice to the committee.

SB: There's concern that the broad-area groups would dilute expertise. But there are also opportunities to learn from more people

SC: Lukewarm.

Matt Conner: In summary, there is a significant amount of resistance. Bruce Abbott added that at UCD the science librarians thought the proposal was fine. UCLA is game and sees the proposal as a change for more people to participate than before.

ACTION: Matt will post a summary on a wiki. We have until Sept. 15 to respond on the wiki.

I. Round Robin of Divisions

Berkeley (Rita Evans)

LAUC-B funding, including the 2015 Conference, has been secured for 2014-2015. Apart from professional development funding required by MOU, it is not clear how LAUC-B will fund activities in the future.

A task force has submitted revisions to the Berkeley Procedures, so they will be in alignment with the most recent MOU. The LAUC-B Executive Committee (ExComm) is reviewing it.

- A task force devised a new charge for the Diversity Committee which should result in more directed activities and more engagement with our campus units involved in diversity. ExComm approved it.
- ExComm is looking for ways to influence decision-making regarding NRLF, which will reach capacity in about three years. No plans exist for expansion, a new facility, or a new model for off-site storage, and there is no longer an RLF board at UCOP to provide direction.
- The LAUC-B Fall Assembly in November will address the issue of what it means to be a librarian, who should be eligible for membership in LAUC, what librarian work is being done outside of the librarian series, and related topics.
- 6 open positions will be filled shortly: Associate Director, Oral History Center; Head of Acquisitions; Head of the Arts & Humanities Division; Head of the Social Sciences Division; Head of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Division; Head of the Life Sciences and Health Sciences Division

Davis (Bruce Abbott)

The LAUC-D executive board recently discussed membership. Decided to defer action locally and wait to see what happens on the statewide level. Several job ads have been posted.

Irvine (Lisa Mackinder)

The LAUC-I executive board had its transition meeting recently. Keith Powell and Lisa Mackinder are putting forward their vision for the year: collaboration, camaraderie, and work-life balance. The Exec Bd discussed the membership issue, which raised many of the same topics and concerns discussed at today's meeting. The first general membership mtg. will take place in Fall, where membership will be on the agenda.

Los Angeles (Rikke Ogawa)

The LAUC-LA committee on professional governance will be assigned the membership issue. Work on morale issues will continue from last year. There are lots of ongoing recruitments.

Merced (Elizabeth McMunn-Tetangco)

The new Access Services librarian just started.

Riverside (Rhonda Neugebauer)

LAUC-R just had its first meeting, to which 31 LAUC members and 3 “guests” are normally invited. The guests include 2 new archivists who are working in Special Collections, so the issue of membership is important to them. LAUC-R members can sit on 2 Academic Senate committees, and LAUC-R would like to increase that number.

San Diego (Penny Coppernoll-Blach)

UCSD is pleased to announce that Bethany Harris has joined us as our Collection Coordinator for Biology, Health and Marine Sciences and is the Biology Librarian. Bethany was recruited from UC Irvine.

UCSD is recruiting for several positions: Data Services and Collections Librarian, Chinese Studies Librarian, Latin American Studies Librarian, and Korean and Japanese Studies Librarian.

San Francisco (Sarah McClung)

This is my first day back after vacation, so I have no idea of what’s been going on.

Santa Barbara (Angela Boyd)

Just had someone transitioned to the Librarian series. The 50th anniversary of LAUC is coming up in 2016, so planning to celebrate that has begun.

Santa Cruz (Deborah Murphy)

Even after retirements, LAUC-SC ended up with 3 more librarians than last year: one permanent, full time, and 2 temporary ones, working on special projects. UCSC has a brand new Undergraduate Experience team: an LA 5 and 3 librarians reassigned from existing positions. They report to the head of Assessment and Planning. A library strategic planning and reorganizing process is going on. LAUC-SC CAPA has produced a first draft of a revised librarian review documentation closely aligned with the MOU. LAUC-SC is exploring ways to participate on Academic Senate committees and other academic committees.

J. Adjournment (informal, no motions) at 3pm. Good-byes all around.

Next conference call date/time: [October 2, 2014](#) 1-3pm